Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Week 8 - Revisiting Textiles & New Media

I guess to go along with the Queer theory and unusual art Dan showed us how to make Recycled Yarn & how to Crochet with it! Since I was not able to attend this day, I missed out on the art projects that were made. HOWEVER, my classmate who has a blog was able to attend that day, and you can see some examples of the recycled yarn, and some other things as well click here

We looked at artists
- Cayce Zavaglia
- Joana Vasconcelos (crochet drawing on sculpture)
- Michael McDowell
- Emily Barletta
- Felieke Van Der Leest (jewelry)
- Dan Steinhilber (MOA exhibit)
- Sheila Pepe (radical knitting/subversive lace)
- Carol Hummel (Tree Cozy)
- Knitta (Hollywood)

MY THOUGHTS
Recycled Yarn. How cool is that? I am really bummed I missed that day. Darn orthodontist. I think that textile art is really neat. I love knitting, and have attempted to sew, and I think that creating things such as quilts and scarves can be just as artistic as any thing else. My Mom sews and has made some incredible dresses and quilts. I think it is cool that people are starting to see that as art.

I also looked through the above artists and it was really cool to see what people do with textiles! I never would have thought that people could even do some of those things. I think that I would try to introduce my students to these different art forms and would really stress how there are many different kinds of art, it just depends on how you look at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment