Wednesday, April 22, 2009

WeeK 10 Photography!

For photograpy we made photo-grams (also called Rayo-grams) where we put objects on photo paper (that was treated by chemicals) out in the sun to make some cool "photography" (great way to teach your students about photography, etc)

...to make a Photo-gram:
1. inverse copy (negative copy) an image in black & white on overhead paper
2. coat regular white paper with a mixture of Ammonium Iron Citrate & Potassium Ferricyanide mixed with distilled water using a sponge brush
3. let dry in light-tight room (dark room)
4. take outside & arrange objects on top (let stand for 5-15 mins)
5. rinse in water (5 mins)
6. immerse in diluted hydrochloric acid
7. let dry

cyanotype kits

PROTOTYPE:Cyanotype - use objects directly on topRayogram - use a negative of something


MY THOUGHTS:
Once again, I loved it. I would definitely use this technique with my class. You can do it with children of any age! I would have my students make a collage of something we were learning about and then make the overheads for them - Have the paper ready to go and have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Here is a comment from my professor,Dan Barney, I didn't realize I had shut off the posting option!

    "Cyanotype is the word that identifies the process. Rayograms or Photograms are usually created by placing an object (as opposed to a negative... we used an inversed transparency as a negative in class)directly on top of the cyanotype as it is being exposed (either in sun or under a UV light... like regular fluorescent lights)."

    ReplyDelete